A man has been charged after allegedly choking a police officer at Candelo on Sunday (March 19).
About 9.40pm, officers were called to Auckland Street, following reports of a crash, where a driver had allegedly hit a parked vehicle, before exchanging particulars and fleeing the scene.
A short time later, two officers attached to Bega Highway Patrol attended a nearby rural property for the purpose of issuing the driver – a 48-year-old man – a Future Court Attendance Notice for driving under the influence.
It will be alleged when the officers went to leave the property, the man began assaulting the Acting Sergeant, by knocking him to the ground and attempting to choke him.
After a short struggle, the man was arrested and charged.
He was taken to hospital suffering superficial injuries to his face, before being taken to Bega Police Station where he was charged with:
- Intentionally choke etc person with recklessness,
- Assault police officer in execution of duty cause actual bodily harm,
- Two counts of assault police officer in execution of duty without actual bodily harm,
- Three counts of hinder or resist police officer in the execution of duty, and
- Driver vehicle under influence of alcohol.
The man was refused bail to appear before Batemans Bay Local Court today (Monday 20 March 2023).
The Acting Sergeant was admitted to hospital for suspected head and rib injuries.
Another Acting Sergeant and Senior Constable, who both assisted in the arrest, were treated at hospital for leg and shoulder injuries.
Image: NSW Police